The Michigan Theta RLC Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity was founded at Lawrence Technological University by a local fraternity named Kappa Phi Sigma. Kappa Phi Sigma was founded in January 1951 on the campus of Lawrence Institute of Technology, now Lawrence Technological University. They came together as a fraternity “To bring together a group of congenial men who poses ability for leadership and are representative students in all phases of college life.” They were regularly on the dean’s honor roll and in the rosters of organizations such as the student council and the Tech News. They were also very active in sports. They were interfraternity league baseball champs in 1958. Not only were they also recipients of the most outstanding fraternity award, blood bank trophy, and intramural basketball champions, but they also kept close relations with their Alumni brothers.In early 1969, the brothers of Kappa Phi Sigma began to seek the benefits of a national fraternity. However, they did not want to compromise the qualities which had brought them together in the first place. These qualities were leadership, sportsmanship, academics, and gentlemanly behavior. After much research they came across the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity which embodies much of the same qualities. The Kappa Sig’s became an official Sigma Epsilon Colony of Sigma Phi Epsilon later that year. Led by then Regional Director Mike Williams and three brothers from the Michigan Delta Chapter at the University of Detroit Mercy the colony flourished. They soon elected the first chapter president in January of 1970, Richard Nawrocki. After two years as a colony, the Michigan Theta Chapter was chartered on October 23rd, 1971 by the following men:
David Canavesio, Dale Knopsnider, Mark Hall, James Hedgcock, Robert Zimcosky, Roy Linden, Gary Koenig, John McDonald, Lawrence Bowles, Joseph Swindell, Dennis Brills, Bruce Hall, Edward (Tim) Pawl(oski), John Pintal, James Kolaner, Charles Wilson and Thomas Ahern.
Since then the chapter has continued to grow and flourish. The chapter has consistently been #1 in both intramurals and academics. Greek Week winners every other year through the 70′s and 80′s. Nationally recognized by the National Headquarters of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity by earning 4 Buchanan Cups. The first in 1977 followed by three consecutive in 1993, 1995, and 1997. We are very proud of our awards and recognitions, you can view all of them at our Alumni Collection of Lists page.
Nationally, Sigma Phi Epsilon has grown to be the largest undergraduate fraternity in the nation with over 15,000 members on 245 campuses around the nation. SigEp will soon become the largest fraternity in the nation even though it was founded nearly fifty years after our competitors. With an ever-growing alumni contingent, acceptance into SigEp opens the doors to prestigious network of vast resources. For more information on the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity you can visit the national headquarters website.